Saturday, January 31, 2009

4 years ago today...

Simone
QingLu referral photos
I know this blog is about our journey to bring home baby #2, but part of his story is the story of his sister. And four years ago today we got the first glimpse of our lovely daughter. It was truly the phone call that changed our lives forever.

Now remember, we had been DTC (dossier to China) in July. And when all the July DTC referrals came out in mid January our agency did not receive any. We were very sad, but realized that there had to be a reason and we knew this was all out of our hands. We knew that when God was ready to match us to our daughter He would. I mean, she was our daughter already, right, so it all had to come together at the right moment.
Referrals back then were coming out usually once a month, 28-35 days apart, and a whole batch would come out at the same time. So we were not expecting "the call" on January 31, 2005, two weeks after the July referrals came out.
I was in a closing, being the end of the month it was technically our busiest day. My assistant came running in with my cell phone, and Adam was on the other line. The agency had told him "she's a beauty, bald as can be but very healthy looking and very cute". Well as you can see they were right! I think we all cried, even the people in my closing.. the buyer being an adoptive Mom herself! We had to wait to see the picture until later that night, they called everyone first and then loaded the pictures and medical info, so I had to spend the entire day enduring this excruciating wait. Then we got home and sat in front of the computer hitting the refresh button until the email came. What a wonderful first glimpse though...we were in heaven!

How many times did I stare at those photos during the wait to meet her...How many strangers did I show them to...How many dreams did I conjure up of how life would be once she was home...How many times did I say her name out loud, if only just to hear it out loud...Oh how I longed to have her in my arms! And best of all, now I wasn't just some odd ball "stalker" when I saw other families like "mine" in Target. I was officially one of them, and I would proudly display the pictures of my little sumo wrestler whether they asked to see her or not!

Four years ago today was one of the most magical and life altering of days, and we knew the minute we saw her that she belonged with us and we truly loved her from that instant. And two months later we finally met her! And oh what a joy life has been since then!

OK, and now back to baby #2... I am ready for that magical phone call!!! Hello up there??!!
J

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh.....you know words don't fail me often, but by golly, this time its a close call my friend!

I hope you know how priviledged I feel to share in the magic of this special anniversary & day and how splendid I think your family is!

I'm smiling hugely as I type this and already I want to hurry myself along, so I can go back and peek at that beautiful baby girl once more! What an absolute doll, both then and now and what an incredible referral story.

I imagine that there was disappointment when you did not receive news of your miracle as expected, but you were right....there WAS a reason.....your precious destiny girl just needed two extra weeks to make her grand entrance!

And OH what JOY and blessings she has brought to so many since that day!

Sorry this is so disjointed tonight....I popped by not really anticipating a new post and now I'm crying happy tears for you all!

Hugs and congratulations....what a miracle she is and how perfect you all are for one another!! Love,
Lisa

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

I am so an "odd-ball stalker" .. I never had a name for it but my husband laughs at me because whenever I see the families, I get this dear-eyed happy smile and get tears... yup odd-ball.

What a beautiful little girl. My brother always says babies heads are lucky to rub and the balder they are, the more luck you'll have. =0)

Yes, magical... very magical. Come on magic story number two... we need to hear about two happy tales of one fantastic family. =0) Sara.sofa