Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Finding joy


We have come to that time of year again, the Holiday Season is upon us! It's the time that we regroup and think of what we are thankful for, we take a look back at the year we've had and prepare ourselves for a new one. (Not to mention Santa comes soon, woohoo!)
Wow, do I have a lot to be thankful for. I think about it often, all I have- not monetary items- but things that can't be seen. Love, life, health, friendship, joy... I started to read an article in the waiting room at the doctor this week titled "7 ways to improve your life". I thought, cool- I can always use some improvement, bring it on! Well, I got as far as number 1 "find joy in everyday things". The dictionary says "joy: the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation". OK, got me thinking. I do have so much joy in my life, maybe taking a look at it more closely and more often is in order. I have my family, we are happy and goofy and we have fun together. I think of all the things we've done together as a family, from big things like going to China to become a family or moving to Tennessee together, to small things like making scrambled eggs on a Saturday morning or flying a kite at the park. And in adding to our family with our next little bundle, I am so thankful to have this opportunity once again (although the process is not exactly joyful, but the outcome sure will be). And there are so many other things that give me joy- time spent with my parents and extended family, the mountain views we have of the great Smokey's, the sunshine waking me in the morning (ya, I like to sleep till the sun rises!), each change of season, the pooches curled up with us on the couch at night, Sunday phone calls with my loved ones and each new step taken towards our next adoption. So in this month of giving thanks I realize we just have to take a few moments to "find the joy in everyday things" -big, small or in between, and we can find so many things to be thankful for, and maybe appreciate them even more...
J

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, that was so appropriate for this month and really everyday and so very true! I clung to each word and loved the glimpse into your everyday joys & moments of happiness; & truly each one is so richly deserved both for you & your entire family!
Your insights are so in tune with my own; rarely do I read someone who speaks of and translates my own heart so beautifully & honestly. Thank you for sharing so much of your spirit and heart with us all!
I also wanted to pop in to share that it was Lauren who remembered the camel photo after we read of Simone's wish to ride one! :) I just love that your sweet girl thinks outside the box!
& Jennifer, thank you for ALL the support and for your compassionate comments to our blog; it was just the boost I needed today to wait another day ( without pulling my hair out!! LOL ) for those updates!
I can't wait to read that you are on that list and awaiting your next blessing!
Hugs,
Lisa

Lisa said...

Hi!
Just me again! :) I wanted to let ya know that I sent you a private email through the function on our JOH board. I really hope it reaches you and Lauren attached a small note for Simone too! :) She LOVED finding a note waiting just for her & sends "big & huge" thanks!!! :)
I hope your week is going well...almost weekend time, yahoo!
Happy Friday, my friend!
Lisa